Sharing advice to our members from our colleagues at the Halifax Chamber of Commerce. The recent announcement about the upcoming holiday on Monday, September 19 has generated a lot of conversation and questions from Chamber Members. We are saddened by the loss of the Queen and our thoughts are with her family and those who loved her during this time.
The province has declared a provincial holiday for Monday, September 19th.
What does this mean for your business from the province?
- Provincial government offices, public schools and related childcare will be closed
- Healthcare services, appointments and procedures will remain operational across the province
- Businesses will have the choice, as they do on other occasions, to remain open
What does this mean for your business if you are federally regulated?
- Federal government offices will be closed
- If you are federally regulated, businesses can choose whether to close
Supporting our Chamber members
A holiday is costly to all businesses but does especially impact small and medium businesses. We are still in recovery mode from the pandemic and many businesses are also facing labour shortages and supply chain issues. September this year will have three holidays, and businesses are faced with additional costs for these days off.
Some businesses will close, and some will remain open. We encourage you to respect their individual decisions and I encourage you to visit local businesses whenever you can.
The Queen’s funeral is happening at 6:45 am Atlantic time, please check your local listings for information.